Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Butterfly Mini Quilt

Another secret mini quilt to show you finally!  This one was was made for my friend, Nicole at Snips Snippets.  She's also in the Birthday swap, and shares a fondness for greys and teal/aquas.  I fully intended to make her something from my collection of those colors, but then I bought a dresden ruler on a whim (I mean, I'd been eyeing it for a while, and finally it found it's way into my cart), and saw this butterfly block in her inspiration board and it was all over.  

I used entirely scraps on the front--just pulling out fabrics I thought looked pretty together for the butterfly, and the background is a patchwork of Kona Coal scraps (do notice how there is some variation in the background though--Kona dye lots can vary by quite a bit!).  The sunflower is made with Sunnyside scraps from another dresden I made that ended up too big, and too wonky.

When I made the flower (using 1.25" wedges), my 4 year old son told me several times "Not to forget the pollen", so with his inspiration I added the circular stitching to the center of the flower--technically it is the Seed of Life pattern, and it required quite a bit of practice in drawing, then marking and quilting.  And it's still wonky--but that's nature for ya.

I quilted in the ditch around the butterfly using Aurifil 50wt in #2530 (pink), #2545 (purple) and in a 28wt #1148 (light teal).  The flower is quilted using Aurifil 50wt in #1135 (yellow) and #2887 (olive green).  The background is quilted using 50wt #2605.  I free motion quilted the antenna using 12wt #4093 (teal) and 28wt #1148 (light teal).

The back is Bella Aqua.

 I love quilting in little bugs, and it was perfect for this quilt theme--there are six of them for her to find.







I bound it using Kona Charcoal.  It measures about 20" x 21".

 Also included in her birthday gift is this little bag I made from the quilting test quilt from this profanity quilt.

About 11"x 5".

 The quilting is Aurifil 12wt # 4093 (teal) and 28wt #1148 (light teal).  I seriously love these threads and use them whenever possible.

The other side.

There is a double layer of batting, and backing, and lining--so it is a well shaped little pouch! 

Color coordinated lining!

I've been saving the practice quilt just for her, and decided it would make a better bag.  I was kind of sad to see these gifts go, but I know they're in a well-loved home!

Sunday, April 20, 2014

AMH Feather mini quilt

I made this AMH feather mini as a pay it forward gift for Liz at Shush I'm Quilting.  She expressed such love for the teaser photos I put up on IG (I'm @quiltsnkids) that I decided to send it to her.

Measures about 9" x 18"

I quilted in the ditch around the feather and stem, then echo quilted it using Aurifil 12wt in #4093 (teal).  I used 50wt #2000 in the bobbin.  The background fabric is Kona Charcoal and the binding and feather stem are Kona Chestnut.  

The back is some scrap of a feathery batik I've long coveted.

Label from TagsToGo on etsy.

When she signed up for my pay it forward, she mentioned maybe something for her little Princess would be very much appreciated.  Especially if it was pink.  So I made a wide open zipper pouch using some scrap pack pinks I've been collecting.

Side A
Side B--love the girl wearing the glasses!

Inside strawberry sweetness.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Jessica's Sisterhood Quilt

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Quilts continues--this month I am adding to Jessica's (from Quilty Habit) quilt.  First it went to Ashley, she added the row of churn dash blocks:

I was really excited to work on another black-as-neutral quilt.  The last one was this prayer quilt.  The fabrics are so much prettier and brighter for this one--I love the contrast.

The first block I decided to make is this Radiant Splendor block.

I messed up making the flying geese right away (I made colored geese instead of black geese), and then saved the half square triangle trimmings--all the extras went to the "boneyard" on my design wall:

Photo courtesy of my 4 year old.

So my goal then became using the pieces from the boneyard wherever possible:

Layout from this blog.

And I also wanted to use some of the Echino Birds I ordered with a gift card I won during a Sew Mama Sew giveaway to Jones and Vandermeer:

I chose the fabric especially for adding a few birds to her quilt, so I was so thrilled with how well the colors worked out!

While debating what to do with all the boneyard pieces, I came across this tutorial on making a churn dash block with a tiny pinwheel in the center.  I started with 1.75" HST, and ended up with a 2" churn dash with an itty bitty (wonky) pinwheel in the center.  I then added more churn dashes to it to get this block:

I call it the "yo dawg, I heard you like churn dashes" block.
I used all but 5 of the boneyard flying geese, hurray!  Here's the whole quilt now, going to Laura next!

I really enjoyed working on this quilt--I think the birdy blocks are my favorite though!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My quilt at a national show!

My Lone Star Reflections quilt was accepted into the MQX Quilt Festival in Manchester, New Hampshire!  The quilt show is April 10-12th--if you are going and see my quilt, I would love to get a picture of it hanging up!

You can see more photos of the finished quilt here and the process photos here (scroll down a bit).