Well the problem her machine was having was that she used a high loft batting and minky backing. I had read recently that minky backing can be tricky because it stretches and shifts a lot. So I went googling for tips, and ended up repinning the whole quilt:
|I used all 100 quilting safety pins I had, pinning it every 2-3 inches.|
All the pinning was worth it though, I had no shifting, stretching, bunching, or wrinkles! And my machine had no problem getting through all the layers. It didn't even flinch when I accidently sewed through the head of one of the safety pins!
My friend gave me free range on what to quilt, so I chose large vines and leaves:
|I think this photo really shows how lofty that batting is!|
The large leaves worked great for the backing too, the monkeys didn't get distorted at all:
|You can sort of see the leaves in this photo.|
I forgot to take a picture after I added the satin binding, but oh well. My friend loved it, I'm so glad :-)