|Two GORM selves from Ikea, with my roll of batting on top. This photo is from December, so by March it was actually quite organized..now the shelves stand empty.|
|Pulling the batting out is a two person job, but it's a great storage place for that huge roll. Currently that whole box is doubled bag, still in a pile of bags downstairs.|
Hopefully over the next several weeks I can start reorganizing and refolding my fabric. I can't wait for it to be on those shelves again! Anyway, I've said all this because I really can't quilt right now because of the fabric and swallow bug situation, but wanted to sew something. I also wanted/needed a larger diaper bag to accommodate all the toddler and baby stuff I lug around now. I finally decided on the Nikki Tote Bag pattern. It took me 10 days to make the bag (since I could only work on it when Aurelia was sleeping and Arden was playing nicely, or when both were sleeping), but the actually work time wasn't bag at all, and since I already had some bag making experience, it went rather smoothly. Here's my finished bag:
|This is the inside--I used the pockets from the pattern, and then added 5 more! Two zipper pockets, two bottle pockets and smaller pocket.|
|I added a recessed zipper using this tutorial...thoughI haven't used the zipper at all yet (in 3 weeks!), so I wish I had saved the time, money and effort and just put in a magnetic closure instead.|
Then my Mommy's group had a Mother's Day secret santa exchange (which got cancelled at the last minute, but I gave it anyway and called it a super early birthday present), so I made another bag, since I already had all the supplies out and wanted to get my money's worth out of the pattern. This bag only took 3 days!
|Same stats as the first purse, except those buttons are not mother of pearl.|
|It was for my friend that loves Hello Kitty. I added one zipper pocket and one bottle pocket, and a magnetic snap closure.|
For my Mom's Mother's Day gift, I made her a Nikki Tote Bag, but printed the pattern at 75% so it would be a better handbag size:
|I upcycled a jacket someone had given me for the exterior, bought lightweight corduroy for the handles, and decided to buy something special for the inside.|
|Here it is next to my bag for comparison! I used the original sized handle pattern so it would be longer than the one printed at 75%.|
|The inside, with the standard pockets and a magnetic closure.|
Then I made some little card wallets (using this tutorial) as Mother's Day gifts:
|That is the last of the Hello Kitty scraps!|
|The insides--I winged it on the pockets.|
So that's what my sewing machine and I have been working on for the past month! I'm itching to get back to quilting soon, even though I'm not ready for a big project yet. Once I find my batting scraps I want to make some mini quilts!