Wednesday, October 3, 2012

3 Quilts in 3 Months

I now have 3 quilts in progress and hope to finish them within 3 months.  Not sure if it is possible, but I'm going to give it a good try.  The first one I started last month, and is a baby quilt I hope to finish by the end of next month (more on that one in a later post).  The second one is a twin size for my 2.5 year old son.

I wanted it to be a quilt he could grow into (for at least a few years), so I tried not to choose fabrics that were super baby/childish.  Actually I just used all the boy fabrics I had accumulated over the past two years and then dug through my stash for coordinating fabrics.

Ironed and ready to cut!  Is it just me or does that shark fabric make an appearance in a lot of boy quilts in the past couple of years?

I decided to make a plus quilt, following this tutorial, since I figured it would be fairly fast and easy, and lend itself well to large prints, and be baby-rolling-on-the-floor-friendly.

Once I got cutting I realized I needed more fabric, so I dug out more coordinating fabrics.  Still needed more...so on a belated birthday present fabric shopping spree I bought a couple more fabrics to add.

320 four-and-a-half inch squares later... (the top fabric is my favorite!  Wish I knew what it was called, but I just bought it at a local shop).

Then I laid them out on the floor during a nap time.  Luckily I got it all laid out and started picking it up (each row was numbered and then stacked in a pile) before Miss Rolly Polly woke up.


I tired not to stress over it too much considering the abuse it's sure to go through in the near future!  So glad I took a photo of it though, as sewing each row together without seeing where it lays in respect to the other rows gets a little confusing for me.  The photo has helped make sure I'm sewing everything together correctly!
 
The pile of stacked rows.

My goal is to finish this quilt by the end of October, so I thought 'oh I'll just plan on sewing one row together each day, that's doable!' but the rows take only about 5-6 minutes (or 2 rows per episode of Dinosaur Train, haha) each to sew up, so it went a lot faster than I expected!

The first 7 rows--I made an 8th row then sewed them all together

Yay a little less than half done already!

So this plus quilt takes a lot more fabric than I thought (not that I had done any measuring to begin with, but that's okay, happy to use more of my stash!), and it is super easy and fast to put together!  Already looking forward to working on the back.

And then there is the third quilt I hope to finish by the end of the year: a king sized quilt for my Dad.  Making a quilt for him has been on my list for a year or two now, and although I had hoped to give him one for his birthday in November, I'll be pretty happy if I can finish it by the end of the year!  He has gone out of his way to help us with house improvements this year, without asking for anything in return, so I bumped him to the top of the list (just under the quilt for Arden anyway ;-).  

For some reason I decided on it being another grey quilt (bought a bolt of grey with a coupon at Joann's--why is buying an entire bolt so much fun?).  And since I have SO many green and brown scraps, and scrap quilts are easy to deal with through showings, babies, toddlers and a (possible) move, it seemed like this scrappy quilt tutorial would make for a good on-going project. 

147(ish) green 3" squares, which is just about all of my large green scraps!

On-going project, what does that mean?  Well I need about 200 blocks for this king size quilt, and each block is 3 squares of fabric.  I just don't want to sit down and cut and then sew and then iron 600+ squares all at once, so I've done about a 1/3 of the cutting and am sewing a colored square onto a grey square every time I get to the end of the a row for the plus quilt so I don't have to break thread (have I lost you?).  Then I'll cut the next 1/3 of the fabric and sew a second colored square onto the grey squares.  


The grey squares are 6.5" and the colored squares are 3"

While doing research for this quilt I read a comment from someone saying that they would sew a second seam 1/2" from the first one, then cut between them and have a bunch of half-square-triangles for a mini quilt.  Maybe this photo will help make the concept clearer:

I'll cut between the two seams, then iron them open.

I'm going to have a ton of scraps, so I decided to do it too--I'm expecting to get a cute little baby quilt from the left over HST.  Surely there will be a baby boy born next year in need of a quilt!

So those are my latest projects on my sewing table (and the floor and ironing board).  I will try to post updates as I make progress on each one!

No comments:

Post a Comment