Thursday, November 1, 2012

Rainbow Hexagon Quilt finished!

Very, very glad to have this quilt finished (a whole a month early too)!  It has been a very frustrating quilt to work on, though not because of the quilt.  

It measures about 42" x 60"

The back is some cute fabric I've been hoarding for a couple of years.

My sewing machine, which I bought last March-ish, continued to have issues with tension while free motion quilting, so I got out my mom's sewing machine (an older, very basic Janome) and spent a lot of time getting all the settings good enough to quilt with it.  Unfortunately good enough isn't actually up to my usual standards, but considering the issues I've had to deal with, and the huge amount of time I've tried fixing and then settling with my current working conditions I'm calling it acceptable and DONE.

Lots of hearts.

I finally took my sewing machine (a Janome MC 6300) in to be tuned up and fixed--last I tried to use it, it would turn on but nothing else worked--it wouldn't sew, the buttons did nothing (not even beep at me).  My husband and brother both thought it sounds like a circuit board problem.  When I told the guy at the shop the issues, he plugged it in and the buttons worked!  BAH!  I hate when machines/cars do that.  Hopefully they give it a good look over (and tune up) and can tell me why it didn't work for me...I would hate to get it home and have it happen again.

Lots of stars.

Anyway.  The quilt.  My mom's machine chugged right through it.  It has a standard 6" throat, and I've been pretty spoiled with the 9" throat on my machine, so I'm glad this was only a baby quilt.  My biggest complaint (other than the tension never being perfect) was that the machine would be going along just fine, then all of the sudden bunch up a some stitches and then carry on normally again.

A dragonfly.

I'm so glad to be done with quilt!  And glad to be giving it away, it's got too much emotional baggage for me now, ha.

A few flowers.

I hope all these cute little things I quilted in are entertaining for a baby to look at.  My son loved looking for the buggys and stars.

Love how the colors turned out on this leaf.

Sorry for the inconsistency in photos.  Some were taken inside and some were taken outside.

Some butterflies

Quite a few pumpkins, which are lots of fun to make.

Various clovers.

 Instead of putting a label on the back I quilted it in.  I wrote it on with a disappearing marker, but like most words I quilt it quickly got away from the marked words and became "free hand".  At least I practiced a few times and didn't make any mistakes.

It says: For JNO made by Renee Hoffman 2012

And now I plan to wait until I hear back about my sewing machine before doing any more sewing.  Reeeeally hoping all it well or reasonably cheap and easy to fix!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up!

    The emotional toll the quilting took on you was worth it. I love the thread choice, and the idea to make the label part of the quilting.

    It's amazing to think of all of those little pictures scattered throughout the quilt, what a lovely idea for a baby's quilt. I particularly like the leaf and the star.

    ReplyDelete