Since my last post I have been able to get a fair amount done. It has been a quiet week at home (thankfully!), so I've been able to spend some time on both quilts.
I got 3 of the borders on the triangle quilt, but ran out of burgundy fabric. So it has been laying on the floor until I was able to get to Joann's today. I decided to go with a 3.5" finished pink border and a 5.5" finished burgundy border. I really like how it looks so far! My plan is to use a light pink thread for the quilting on the burgundy border, which should help lighten it and tie it in better to the rest of the quilt.
|The quilting/play room. I've been trying to keep the lone star quilts off to the side to avoid being played with.|
So now I'm back to working on the lone stars again. I added the lavender border and cut dark grey (Kona Charcoal, my newest favorite background color!) fabric for one star, and white border and pink background for the other star.
Then I realized that the star with the pink background would look so much better with a grey border, instead of the white. I hated to rip perfectly good stitches, but knew I wouldn't be happy with it until I changed the border. Luckily it's only half a star and it went really quickly!
Once I started sewing on the background fabric and then sewing the diamonds together I realized that some of the first cuts and seams were off a bit...which caused a headache in lining up the seams and points. Oh well I did what I could and don't think it'll show or matter much once it's quilted.
|This is not what I intend to do with the quilt, but love the idea for the future!|
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of the pink fabric, so I had to hodge-podge as much of it as I could, and it rather limits the finished size of the quilt to a wall hanging.
|Next is figuring out how I want the grey star to be oriented.|