Until then I thought I'd share some of the little details of this quilt. The first is more about my machine. I have had a Janome MC 6500 for about two years now, and have had the same issue on and off since shortly after I got it. The problem is when I'm free motion quilting and the top thread periodically gets caught on the (lowered) feed dogs. This brings my quilting to a screeching halt, until I break or cut the thread. For record, I have tried quilting with the feed dogs up, but my machine (and the tension controls) did not like it at all.
Once it's free of the feed dogs, I guess I have two options, 1) remove quilt from machine, remove stitches, start again or 2) keep going, leaving behind two 1/2 inch tails on the back (which I trim) and some crazy stitches. About 99% of the time I just keep going. On one baby quilt (that I still have, unused), it happened all.the.time. It was awful! On this quilt, it only happened on the feathered border.
I think what I really need to do is take my machine in and try to duplicate the issue with there. Have any other Janome users encountered such an issue? I wonder if it is just my machine...
While quilting the last of the feathers, they got a little out of control and I ended up with this:
|A weird center feather and then some tiny awkward ones, and above that I crossed over my own stitching line.|
I tired to stay at least 1/4 inch away from the edge of the quilt to account for the binding. But after trimming, squaring up and binding the quilt, quite a few of the feathers got cut off. Bummer. Next time I leave 1/2 margin!
|The binding (on the right) is Salt Water, Tortoise Shell in Coral.|
Anyway, I'm glad to have it bound and washed! I can't wait to share it tomorrow. And I'm excited to start quilting my scrappy lone star quilt, and already have two more quilts waiting in the wings to be started.