For the past four days, while my husband has been out of town, I have been diligently working on two more Super Totes for friends that are pregnant with their second. I don't get much time during the days, but I do have about two hours every evening to work on them. I spent the first two evenings ironing, UGH. Actually, aside from the amount of time it took, it wasn't too bad--I set up my ironing table low so I could sit and watch a movie while I did it (watching a movie is a rare treat around here). I put interfacing on EVERY piece, except the exterior back and pocket, which are being quilted.
For the quilted panels, I decided to use my small batting scraps--leftovers from the edges of quilts mostly. I cut 20" strips and sewed them together using a large zig-zag stitch.
|This bag was overflowing before I started, and I used about half of the bag on 4 panels. Woo!|
|Two of the panels, a few minor bumps.|
Before quilting the pocket panels, I sewed the front and lining (lining an extra 1/2 inch long, pieces facing) to the batting, then flipped the lining over to create a faux piping (sorry I don't remember which bloggers I originally read that idea from!):
For the purple bag the quilting was easy to choose--just outline those awesome purple damasks!
|I used Superior So Fine in black.|
|Back of the back panel.|
|Back of the pocket panel.|
The orange bag I still have not figured out how to quilt, and I really need to finish it today! Hopefully inspiration will strike soon!
After the quilting the next step is adding MORE pockets. Mamas always need more pockets!