This is an update to my last post on designing a TARDIS quilt, and shows the progress I've made with the quilt itself. I've been editing the design as I've been putting it together--it is far from perfect, but it is a good starting place if you ever want to make your own!
**This design/pattern is for personal use only! I do not own the TARDIS image, I just want to share my process from one fan to another!**
|The finished TARDIS is actually right at 70" tall. The number to the right are the measurements to cut the fabric pieces. The numbers ON the tardis (or in parenthesis) are the finished sizes of the corresponding pieces.|
|Here's the detail for the panels and the light|
2+ yards for the back
2.5 yards for the medium (main) blue
About a half of a fat quarter for the light blue border on the panels
Less than 1/2 yard for the dark blue (it looks almost black in the photos)
Less than a 1/3 of a yard for the panels and police box sign
1 yard for the background
I bought all of the fabrics at Joann's.
The back + darker parts of the TARDIS = Kona Navy
Binding = Kona Charcoal (which I had on hand, I would use black next time)
Border is a Robert Kaufman Stars in Black
Door panels + Police Box sign border = "basket weave" by Legacy Studio in Lake
Main blue of the TARDIS = Legacy Studio in Bright Blue
Police Box sign is from this Etsy shop
The lighter border fabric on the door panels were a lighter version of the basketweave I already had (sorry, no info)
Here's how I put it together:
|I made the panels first and added mitered corner borders, then added the strips between.|
|Adding the side strips.|
|Adding the top strips and then the side strips|
|Then I pieced the police box sign in with some of the blue fabric from the panels, turned the edges and appliqued it on.|
|I used a large stitch just to hold it in place since I will go over that line again when quilting.|
Then I started sewing the border fabric on--started with little blue pieces on the sides of the tardis and the main sides, then the roof strips, bottom strips, the light and surrounding, and then sewed it all together. It probably sounds more confusing than it was--I will take lots of photos next time (which will be in a few months, if you want to wait that long)!!
In total it took about 7 hours to put together the quilt top--designing the quilt took at least that long too! I've basted the quilt already and will get started on the quilting soon.
If you make a quilt with this pattern I would love to see it! I'll post updates to the pattern again after I make it again and post a link here.