|Wallhanging measures about 20"x 16"|
I enjoyed making my last dresden butterfly quilt so much, I made this mini quilt for my friend Amanda's birthday--she's the one that invited me to join the Birthday Bash swap!
I had a full dresden made of the little Sunnyside petals, but it didn't connect correctly, and lived on my design wall for a couple of months.
|Photo from IG (@quiltsnfeathers)|
I had planned to take it apart and fix it. But then I decided to turn it into a couple of butterflies (which I actually think more moth-like). So I took it apart and added a longer center piece to each butterfly to act as the body and machine appliqued them onto a fat quarter of RJR Cotton Supreme in Night.
I quilted it using Aurifil 2600 (which I got from Massdrop!) and the antenna with #1135. I had planned to quilt little insects in, like on the first butterfly quilt, but when it came time to quilt it, that style just didn't feel right for this quilt. The two butterflies on this one, in a different style and color have such a different personality! So I quilted it with an all over McTavish-ing style design.
The back is a mottled purple fat quarter someone gave me. I added a hanging sleeve, and blocked it...and then shoved it into an envelope, haha.
|Back of quilt.|
Each butterfly is quilted slightly different:
The whole time I was making it I kept thinking they looked like bats--so I am planning a bat one now, with black ones. Maybe for Halloween.
|Label from TagsToGo on etsy.|