I am very happy to say I have finally finished this giant pink star quilt! I hope you came for a picture show.
I was commissioned to make this quilt as a celebration for beating breast cancer. After talking with my client about what she wanted, she sent me this quilt as inspiration. I chose all the pink fabrics (some have pink cancer ribbons printed on them) from Fabric.com. The white-ish is Kona Oyster.
|I set the ribbons on point so they would sit nicely in the corners.|
I used this tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Co to piece the ribbons.
|I quilted in the ditch around the ribbon, then FMQ the outer large circles, then the loops outside of the circle, and last the pebbles around the ribbon.|
|I love how the ribbons stand out so nicely!|
|I love how they turned out!|
|The back turned out really nice too!|
I kept careful track of the size, intending for it to be a queen size (about 86" x 93"):
Quilt top: 90" x 96"
Post quilting: 87.25" x 92.5"
Post first wash: 83" x 88"
So it ended up a little small for a queen, however I am very happy that the star sits beautifully on a queen mattress:
|I designed the star to be big enough to sit just on the top of the bed (and not hang over the sides).|
While it was on my bed I thought the juxtaposition between it (my most recent bed quilt) and my first bed quite interesting.
The fabrics on my first quilt (from 2009) were hand-me-downs from my mom and various FQs from Joann's. It's gone through 3(!) bug infestations and numerous hot washings and dryings. And at the old house it got a lot of direct sunlight, especially in the winter and afternoons. It has faded significantly, and is a testament to keeping your quilts out of direct sunlight, avoid over washing them, and buy the best fabric you can afford!
|My first quilt--a simple all over meander next to some crazy big feathers!|
I really enjoyed the quilting on this quilt, especially the big feathers.
|I have a tutorial on how to quilt those peacock feathers here.|
I used 2+ large spools of Aurifil 50wt in Blossom Pink (#2530) for all the quilting. It's wonderful shade of pink, and went beautifully with all the fabrics. I love how the quilting adds a dusty pink feel to the white space.
|Unfortunate shadow. But I love how the quilt just glows!|
I meant to keep track of how much time I spent on this quilt (I started it exactly 2 months ago), but my husband accidently deleted my log on the computer and I gave up. It was a lot though, I'd guess it was at least 20 hours on the quilting alone. Around 10 hours on designing, preparing and piecing the top, 2 hours on basting, at least 1 hour on trimming/squaring, 1 hour on post-quilting (burying threads, etc).
I chose a scrappy binding using all the pink fabrics from the star, and put them in the same order as the star.
|I used Carolyn Friedlander's Crosshatch widescreen in Grey for the backing. I really like the way it looks with all the pink thread!|
|I just love how the feathers look on the back!|
|Label from TagsToGo on etsy.|
In addition to those in my side bar I'm linking up with: