|Working on the layout. That center part is a Flower of Life pattern, which has shown up in my quilting before.|
I was originally going to use a mini charm pack I had, which dictated how small these are. But when it came to actually using the cute little squares, I just couldn't bear to waste so much fabric...so I decided to use the backing scraps from the Giant Pink Star Quilt--it's Carolyn Friedlander's Crosshatch in grey.
|The background fabric is Moda Bella in Charcoal--it's a little darker than Kona Charcoal, which I'll show in some future post.|
These orange peels are actually Joseph's Coat (or Jacob's coat) pieces, but since I got my inspiration photo from Jess, I figured it was okay. Plus it's the same method for making them, they're just narrower. I used the interfacing method on these--pressing each section down with an iron so it wouldn't shift around.
|It was a bit tricky getting the intersections to look nice.|
Once I had them all lightly fused on, I basted the quilt, using some Quilter's Dream batting I got from Massdrop. I quilted the petals on using my free motion foot, and then quilted the areas between them:
|Despite the interfacing there was some shifting when sewing them down.|
I am loving the lattice-like look and texture from this quilting!
|Quilting detail around the Joseph's coat/orange peels.|
The backing is Kona Purple. Here's a peek at the border quilting from the back:
|Pebbles and snowflake quilting!|
I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow and share it by Friday!