|Washi tunic (on me) and Black Bird Tunic on Aurelia, both in Nani Iro fabric.|
I bought this Nani Iro fabric (Field Star) with a gift card I won to Jones & Vandermeer back in April, with the sole intention of making a Washi tunic with it. Well, finally I have! And there was enough left over to make a Black Bird Tunic for my daughter!
First, the Washi:
|Washi Tunic, using Nani Iro double gauze.|
I bought a paper pattern from my local quilt shop, and as per Rae's suggestion I also got some Swedish tracing paper to trace the pattern size I needed. I posted my progress photos along the way on instagram (@quiltsnfeathers), here's a collage of them:
|Washi tunic construction. Top: shirring and pleats. Bottom: traced pattern ready to cut out, pondering bodice placement and more shirring.|
Since I wanted to use my Nani Iro fabric for my first Washi, I decided to make a muslin first to check the fit. I tried a large, which was too big, then a medium, which was too small. Then I graded the pattern from a medium in the shoulders to a large in the bust--but still had a big gape at the neck. Thankfully a follower on IG suggested I alter the pattern using this tutorial on how to remove the neck gape. I'd never done anything like that with a pattern, but it was fairly simple and it worked! (you can see how I altered my bodice pattern in the center photo above)
|Washi bodice muslins.|
After making so many muslins I needed a break from the pattern. But when I finally came back to it, it came together so smoothly! I followed Rae's video tutorials to add a bodice lining, instead of facing and bias tape binding at the arms.
|Washi tunic, side view.|
I shortened the pattern by an inch because I used the factory edge instead of hemming it at the bottom. I also lowered the armed pit by about 1/4 inch--I freaking hate when there is fabric up in my armpits! I shirred the back, and it was so easy! It really makes for a flattering and comfortable fit!
|Washi tunic back.|
I've already purchased yards more fabric to make a dress and another tunic from this pattern and look forward to trying some of the variations next time!
|Washi Tunic. See how nicely the neckline lays now? So worth the effort of getting the fit right!|
Now on to the Black Bird tunic! I need to find a pattern like this for me!
|Black Bird tunic|
I love this style of shirt on little girls! That large round collar and big button are so cute! And the pleats add such a feminine element and really help bring the whole thing together.
|Black Bird tunic.|
I didn't make any changes to the pattern, except I didn't do any piping. I kept the pattern length as is, and again used the factory edge instead of hemming. I like that it adds a little length to this shirt--I'm sure she'll be wearing it still next summer!
|Black Bird tunic back.|
I made biased binding for the arms and really like how they turned out. I like that the arm holes are large enough to fit over a long sleeve shirt for winter fashion, yet small enough they're not gaping.
She loves the shirt--it's comfortable and lightweight, and I think she likes to match me! We had a lot of fun taking pictures together!