This was my first year of swaps, and has honestly been a mixed bag. As a whole I'd say the negatives out weighed the positives to the point that I've sworn off group swaps (more on that another day). The last swap I signed up for before coming to this conclusion was the #igminiswap on Instagram. Here's the quilt I made:
|Museum Medallion center medallion mini, measures about 21" square.|
I actually started this quilt as a prototype for the bigger version I'm working on (see more of that quilt here). I wanted to make sure I could successfully machine piece those petal pieces, and also experimented with various methods, including recreating the petal pattern in two pieces so I'd only be piecing half the curve (I decided it was just as easy and looked better to do the full curve).
|Quilting detail. The orange petal on the far left I made in two pieces.|
If you're considering this pattern and want to do it by machine, my best tip for the petals is sew from the edges to the center. Both of the petal borders I've made had serious warping issues (ruffles? waves?) and needed a lot of ripping and taking in the seams connecting the petals. Hopefully others don't have that issue, but I've seen it on other's museum medallions, so I don't think it was just me.
I used mostly scraps--cutting into yardage only when my scraps lacked the correct color. It turned out nice enough that I decided the prototype was worthy of becoming a mini quilt.
On the back I used scraps from the Giant Pink Star quilt and some Tula Pink scraps from the Saltwater Triangle quilt I made a couple of years ago.
|Little pink wonky stars.|
|Museum Medallion mini quilt|
I quilted it using Aurifil #2605. I really like how it adds interest in the solid grey areas, yet disappears in the light grey, leaving only texture.
My partner has received the quilt and raved over it, so I'm glad it has gone to a well loving home :-)
|Sunlit quilt back.|