Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Museum Medallion (drunkard's path edition)

The last time I posted about this quilt I was just starting work on the drunkard's path blocks (the quarter circles).  I'd never made the block before, so had no idea just how long it would take to cut all the fabric for the 176 blocks, or to sew them together, or to press or trim them.  But finally it was time to sew them together into circles!

Drunkard's path border progress.

At least I became proficient in making them, and I'd say 90% of them turned out quite nicely.  Hopefully the other 10% aren't too glaring.

All four drunkard's path borders sewn together and cornerstone stars finished.

I'm glad I decided to stick with the drunkard's path blocks, despite the time investment.  I love how they echo the center circle and add even more color to the quilt!  Here's how it looks today, with border 11 (the narrow stripes) on:

Museum Medallion progress through border 11.  Currently measures 80.5" square.

The next border is the last one!  WOOHOO!  The quilt definitely turned into a labor of love!  All that's left (for the quilt top) is cutting out the next border and then matching the prints:

Top one is a bit off, but not too obvious, bottom one matched quite nicely!  Fabric is French Wallpaper in Spruce.

Matching the prints is tricky!  Here's one I failed at twice and then gave up for the day:


Tomorrow my son is back in preschool, so I am hoping to have a little more time and energy to put into this quilt again! 

20 comments:

  1. It looks great. I love the colours. It was definitely worth the effort, and it's always good to learn a new skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matching prints can be such a tricky topic. I am glad you decided to put it away and try again later, I bet you'll have it assembled before you know it. You are so right about how the drunkard's path border does a great job of echoing back to the center and injecting more color / fabrics. You're almost there! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's looking great, Renee! Yes, that was definitely worth the time and effort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!!! I can't even imagine attempting to match prints for a border... that just sounds so fussy and frustrating!! This is going to one spectacular quilt when its all done. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee, this has turned into an amazing quilt. I love your color choices. Matching fabric patterns is very tricky and you did a great job at it. Can't wait to see that final border on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful WIP - so colourful. The DP blocks were worth the effort. A medallion quilt is on my bucket list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is crazy awesome! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I think your drunkard circles look 100% nice! ;) I also really like how you alternated pieced and solid borders. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a free class on Craftsy, Pieced Backs. In it Elizabeth Hartman tells how she matches large prints on the back. I've used her technique on several smaller spots with large print matching. Good luck. With large prints it really looks better matched. Or what I sometimes do is put something plain between...when possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's looking fantastic! I can imagine how much time went into the Drunken Path blocks, but it was definitely worth the effort

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is looking great - definitely worth the time you have taken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowzers! That looks GREAT!!!! And like a LOT of work! Lol. It's going to look even more amazing once it's all done :-) Great job!

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful quilt - It looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That pattern matching looks great on both pieces! I really had to search for the seam in the top piece. Since it doesn't go through the background of the print much it doesn't show up as well as in the bottom piece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely adore this quilt and what you have done. Well done. Next question - are you keeping it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so right! Those Drunkard's Path blocks were the perfect choice. The look FABULOUS! Hope you can get those borders to line up. That print is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never thought about doing a mini drunkards path for an outside ring, on my list! Love the whole quilt

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to stare and stare to see where the top border pattern did not quite match. I have just been matching a backing fabric. Miracle of miracles - it worked first time. I hope the rest goes smoothly for you too.

    ReplyDelete