Ever since I made a pieced bed quilt version of the Starry Night I have wanted to revisit it in another form. I've also been planning to do some thread painting quilts, and those ideas came together recently to make a mini version of the Starry Night. This post is just to show you some of my process and just how much thread and layering I did. Tomorrow I'll have the finished quilt to show you!
|Beginning of thread painting the Starry Night.|
A couple of months ago I saw a program by Jennifer Day on her thread painting at the New Mexico Quilter's Association meeting, and she shared just enough of her process to give me an idea of how to do my own.
|Filling in the blue on the Starry Night.|
I started with printing a low quality version of the Starry Night painting onto some white fabric (using freezer paper as a backing--google "how to print on fabric" to find lots of tutorials). I should have pre-soaked the fabric in Bubble Jet Set, but forgot, and decided to do it after it was printed. Some of the color rinsed away, but all I really wanted was a good idea of where to add thread, so the faded version was fine.
|Nearly finished with the sky and hills on the Starry Night.|
I then basted the quilt with a piece of heavyweight scrap I had (the plum colored fabric you see bordering the white in the photos) and a layer of batting. I started with the outline of the major elements in the painting, and then went back in using different colors of thread to fill in.
|Done with the swirls and stars on the Starry Night.|
I tried to think through layers of color and light, and then layered them accordingly. It really did feel like painting sometimes the way I tried to blend colors and add texture and flow. I had a picture of the original up on my computer the entire time I was working on it and studied each area in detail.
|Working on the tree and town on the Starry Night.|
The quilt took about a week to make, and was the only project I worked on. Tomorrow I'll have the finished quilt and a list of all the thread colors I used!
Update: See the finished quilt here!