I figured it would be a good way to get myself out of a slump while working on my annual donation quilt. Plus I had a guild sew-in last Saturday and I wanted something simple to piece. I chose Tula Pink's Field Study quilt pattern (see my first one here) because the piecing is so quick (start to finish was less than a week!).
|Ocean Study quilt: measures 38"x47" after first wash.|
The pattern calls for five 3/4 yard cuts, but I really wanted to use the 1/2 yard I had of the whale pint (Sea Breeze by Amy Shaw). So instead of each block being 12.5" I cut them at only 10.5". It finished at 38" x 47", which I think is a good size for a baby!
|Sea Breeze fabric by Amy Shaw--I love that the whales are swimming every which way, I didn't have to worry about directions when piecing!|
I chose coordinating solids of Kona Cornflower, Navy and Espresso and Bella Feather.
|Ocean Study quilt: quilting detail|
I quilted it using Aurifil #2715 (Robin's Egg) on the front to blend with the light blues, and #2600 (Dove) on the back so it would show off the quilting a little more:
|Ocean Study quilt: front of quilt on the left, back of quilt on the right|
The piecing of the front leaves a lot of extra fabric, which I sewed into HST blocks and pieced onto the back:
|Ocean Study quilt: back (mostly Kona Cornflower)|
And thankfully my sew-jo has returned and I'm working on lots of small projects at the same time right now! I will be posting about those soon.
I will be donating this quilt to the Albuquerque chapter of Project Linus.