Before starting the quilting I had to decide on thread colors for both the top and the bobbin. Aurifil generously sponsored the top row of large spools:
|Wings Alight: Aurifil threads--a mixture of 50, 40 ans 28wt.|
I made a mini quilt sandwich from the quilt trimmings and tested out each thread weight (using 50wt in the bobbin) to find the best tension and stitch length for both straight line quilting using my walking foot and for free motion quilting using my darning/FMQ foot. In the picture above you can see the back of my practice quilt and under that are my thread and tension notes. In the end I decided to use matching color int he bobbin, which will make this a neat double sided quilt!
|Wings Alight: Starting with my walking foot and the long straight lines.|
The wings are outlined using Aurifil 28wt in Light Jade (1148), and will probably get a second layer. I used my walking foot for the longest straight lines, then switched to my FMQ foot for the rest of the feathers. It took at least 30 minutes to quilt the left wing (you can check out a time lapse of that quilting on my Instagram--click here!).
|Wings Alight: Finished left wing.|
The right wing took a longer, but I finally got it done! Here's how the quilt looks now:
|Wings Alight: Really wishing I'd put the wings higher on the quilt...too late now!|
And here's me in front of the wings, I guess this is a thing now:
|Wings Alight: I do wish I could have made the wings bigger...although they are already a challenge to get through my machine (a Janome 6300 with a 9" throat)!|